He said that the best way forward would be for the government to hold dialogue with the Papuan people on the broadest possible basis to reduce the spread of his ideas. He said that Tabuni had been able to establish a network of supporters not only in Jayapura but also across the whole of Papua.
‘We can well imagine that more Buchtars will emerge everywhere,’ he warned.
‘Just see how their ideas are spreading everywhere. We need to make an evaluation of the system currently being used because it is clearly not the right way forward. It is up to the government to make a careful evaluation of the way it is handling the problems in Papua. If we are honest, we will see that the problems are only getting worse and the approaches being made to minimalise the problems have only strengthened the pro-independence movement,’ he said.
Translated by TAPOL
- Chairman of KNPB arrested – many calls for his release (westpapuamedia.info)
Buchtar Tabuni will be held responsible for demos calling for a referendum (westpapuamedia.info)
- Police issues ultimatum to Buchtar Tabuni (westpapuamedia.info)
- KNPB will not respond to police summons (westpapuamedia.info)
- Thousands across Papua demand UN step up to protect Papuan people: PHOTO AND VIDEO REPORT (westpapuamedia.info)
- Don’t blame OPM for mysterious shootings, says DPRP member (westpapuamedia.info)