Despite the threat of resistance from the KNPB in response to a summons from the police to its chairperson, Buchtar Tabuni, the police chief, Drs BL Tobing said that they will continue to issue the summons the chairperson of the KNPB to take responsibility for the demonstrations.
‘We will give him until two or three weeks after Easter to respond to our summons. If he fails to respond, we will have to use force to bring him here.’
He said that the summons had been issued because the demonstrations were anarchic and the particpants had been carrying traditional weapons such as spears and bows-and-arrows and took place outside the Abepura Post Office and in Taman Imbi on Tuesday 20 March and Monday 2 April.
According to the chief of police, traditional weapons were only to be carried on ritual occasions
He said that the KNPB had broken its promise about the demonstration. He also said that the KNPB was trying to influence public opinion and had adopted the position of rejecting a police summons.
- Buchtar Tabuni will be held responsible for demos calling for a referendum (westpapuamedia.info)
- KNPB: Police Chief’s Statement Has No Legal Basis (westpapuamedia.info)
- AHRC: Authorities refuse to treat political prisoner with tumour (westpapuamedia.info)
- Thousands cram gravesite of Theys to support IPWP (westpapuamedia.info)
- KNPB denies that violence occurred during its demonstrations (westpapuamedia.info)