Donors and Partners are those people and/or organisations who have made a commitment to assist in the long term sustainability of West Papua Media, and who help us train frontline civil resistance journalists.
ADD YOUR NAME HERE AS ONE WHO HAS COMMITTED TO SUPPORT THE BUILDING OF A FREE MEDIA IN WEST PAPUA
There are several options in which supporters can assist us:
- A donation of $3500 would provide three weeks of extensive training for one West Papuan journalist in Safe Witness Journalism, including airfares, lodging and course materials;
- $3000 would provide communications support for five of our journalists and stringers on the ground for up to three months of intensive monitoring across civil resistance mobilisations.
- $2000 could provide the support for one journalist to enter into a closed military area to report on security force abuses, and bring the story to the world.
- $2000 could provide a netbook, a smartphone, 3g access, and a digital camera for one journalist on the ground in West Papua.
- $1000 could provide the West Papua Media Editorial team for communications costs for three months.
Donations of $500 or more (for an organization) or $100 or more (for an individual) would be acknowledged on this page at if so chosen.
To make a donation, please visit https://westpapuamedia.info/donate-to-support-media-freedom-for-west-papua/ for a Secure Donation Facility (via Paypal), or please contact Nick on +61(0)450079106 or firstname.lastname@example.org for bank details.
West Papua Media is proud to have the financial or in kind support and close relationship with the following media, citizen media institutions and human rights organisations:
(UNDER REVIEW – PLEASE CHECK BACK)
WE ARE ENTIRELY NON-PROFIT AND RELY ON YOUR SUPPORT FOR OUR SURVIVAL.
Big Respect to the following people so far for their donations, and especially to those who have donated small amounts regularly. Some of our public donors so far are:
- Rob Wesley-Smith,
- the folks at Obese Records
- Rosemary Mackay
Recent support includes:
Grants in 2013, 2014, and 2015 from the Cultures of Resistance Network supported an educational program that trains citizen journalists to collect independently verifiable news and to subvert the media ban imposed by the Indonesian government. The program also equipped trainees with cameras and Blackphones. West Papua Media regularly publishes stories filed by these citizen journalists.
Read more about Cultures of Resistance at their Website: http://www.culturesofresistance.org/
West Papua Media is deeply grateful for the support of Silent Circle and Blackphone, for the massively discounted supply of the world’s first fully secure mobile phone handset, and associated secure telephony and safe journalism applications on existing Android handsets. We are rolling these out amongst a wide variety of journalists and human rights defenders across Papua so they may be able to conduct their communications in private and in safety. Public donations via westpapuamedia.info/donate will help us roll these out faster.