Murib said that it was very regrettable that such cases in three different places in Papua have not be solved. The police are the ones who are in the best position to investigate these shooting incidents, but the fact is that despite the police being in possession of all the necessary equipment, those responsible have not been found.
It is not enough to get witnesses who say that the person responsible for these incident had fuzzy hair. ‘Getting statements like this from witnesses is far from adequate for the police to solve these cases.’
He said that it was essential for the police to investigate this latest shooting as quickly as possible, especially because the newly-elected governor of the province is soon to be installed and this should not happen while Papuan people are burdened by a sense of fear and uncertainty.
A similar view was expressed by Yusman Conoras of the ALDP, the Alliance for Democracy in Papua. ‘The police are the ones who know better than anyone what needs to be done to investigate this case.
One of the main duties of the police is to ensure that people feel safe, but at present, people in Jayapura feel very fearful when shooting incidents like this occur and even try to find their own solution.’This could be by deciding not to leave their homes for fear of something happening.or not going out in the evening.’
It is for the police to investigate this shooting incident and to do everything to ensure the people feel safe.
[Translated by TAPOL]
- ALDP urges the police to investigate the recent shooting of the German in Papua (westpapuamedia.info)
- German born tourist shot by “unknown persons” whilst on a beach in Jayapura (westpapuamedia.info)
- Violence reinforces Papua’s independence aspirations, say church leaders (westpapuamedia.info)
- Doubts grow of OPM responsibility for Puncak Jaya aircraft shooting (westpapuamedia.info)
- Thousands across Papua demand UN step up to protect Papuan people: PHOTO AND VIDEO REPORT (westpapuamedia.info)