by JPIC* Nabire, with additional reporting from West Papua Media
January 21, 2016
Apologies for the delay in publication due to translation and verification requirements
This report contains graphic images of human rights abuses in context and with actionable data
This report is part of the investigations carried out by the “Justice, Peace and Integrity of Creation Desk” of the Evangelical Christian Church in Papua (Gereja Kristen Injili di Tanah Papua (GKI), into the shootings in the Yapen Island village of Wanampompi on December 1, 2015, and also sever beatings on indigenous Papuan people of the Oyehe tribe near Nabire. The Nabire report will be published shortly.
A. Shootings in the Village of Wanampompi – Yapen, December 1, 2015
On December 1, 2015, between 03: 00 AM and 07: 30, Erick Manitori with his friends held prayers and raised the banned independence Morning Star flag in front of his own house in Wanampompi Village, Serui, Yapen. After the flag-raising ceremony Erik Manitori and his friends then rested at his house.
Around 8 am, a joint taskforce of Army and Police came to Erik and friend at his house, and executed by gunfire four people without warning. Erik Manitori, Yonas Manitori, Darius Andiribi, and Julian Robaha all died instantly and 8 others suffered gunshot wounds.
The joint military-police taskforce came to Erik’s house, using two Estrada cars, one Avanza car, and one Dalmas Riot Police truck. The Joint force had stopped near the street and shouted to Eric to meet with them. Erik and some of his friends came up to meet the joint force, but within 15-20 distance from the main street, about 50 meters from the flagpole, Erik and his friends were shot without warning by the combined forces.
Two people were shot dead on the spot, namely, Yonas Manitori ( The Younger brother of Erik Manitori) and Darius Andiribi. Erik Manitori and Yulianus Robaha were shot in the legs and then dragged into the police truck, whereupon they were taken to the Serui Regional General Hospital ER ( Emeregency Room). On the way to the hospital, the two men were tortured to death. Erik Manitori’s belly was cut open, and with a bayonet he was disembowelled, and his hands and feet were also broken. The two men were unable to be saved at Serui Hospital’s emergency room, and died soon after arrival.
This incident occurred with all victims being unarmed.
Eight other villagers were seriously injured by gunshot, beating and torture, but the Wanampompi villagers managed to helped the victims back to the village and were evacuated to the Randawaya Serui general hospital by civilian ambulance and truck.
The victim’s condition improved after they were evacuated off the Island to General Hospital Biak. One of the victims, Toni Runaweri, still has a bullet lodged in his skull, and is awaiting transfer for a specialist operation by surgeons in Makassar.
List of Victims
- Erik Manitori, Died (was tortured, disembowelled and shot);
- Yonas Manitori, Died (Gunshot);
- Darius Andiribi, Died (Gunshot);
- Yulianus Robaha, Died (Shot in leg, then tortured);
- Toni Runaweri, Injured, Gunshot Wound, bullet passed through head and mouth;
- Paulinus Warrimuri, Injured, Gunshot wound in Ribs;
- Zakarias Torobi, Injured, Gunshot Wound, left Calf;
- Daud Ayomi, Injured, Gunshot Wound on left shoulder;
- Filemon Ayomi, Injured, wounds, right hand and left calf;
- Yance Manitori, Injured, Wounds on Knee, left and right ankle;
- Alius Karimati, Injured, Wound on right palm;
- Agus Manitori, Injured, Wound on left hand and left thigh, gunshot to left and right calves.
All of the 8 victims received medical treatment in the public hospital RSUD Biak, and at village
1. Paulinus Warirowai Shot on his Rib
2. Top: 2. Zakarias Torobi Wound on his left calf
Bottom 3. Daud Ayomi Wound on his left shoulder
Top, 4. Filemon Ayomi Wound on right hand and left calf
Bottom, 5. Toni Runaweri, Gunshot Wound through mouth; X-Ray of wound in skull
Top, 6. Yance Manitori, Wound on knee, right and left ankle
7. (middle) Alius Karimati, Wound on right calf of hand
8. (Bottom) Agus Manitori gunshot wound on left hand and left thigh, left calf and right calf
9. (top) Erik Manitori Died, tortured and gunshot wounds, his stomach was torn and disembowelled with bayonet.
10. (bottom) Yulianus Robaha Died, Tortured and Gunshot