In a press release issued on 26 October, she said that at least thirty-one people had died and 107 people had been injured.
This press release was issued in Jakarta together with several other NGOs, including NAPAS, BUK and YAPHAM. The NGOs were keen to draw attention to the current situation in Papua which is becoming increasingly tense.
KontraS believes that there are serious restrictions to democracy in Papua .
‘It is a serious challenge for civil society to criticise the policy being pursued by the government,’ said KontraS
A Papuan activist n Jakarta, Martin Goo said that the continuing suppression of democracy in Papua has triggered a number of conflicts in Papua. There has also been an intensification of acts of terrorism which, he said, were being perpetrated by certain groups who are against the people’s struggle for justice,
[Translated by TAPOL]
- Warinussy: Poor Protection of Human Rights Defenders in Indonesia (westpapuamedia.info)
- Update on Manokwari police beating of journalist Oktovianus Pogau (westpapuamedia.info)
- End the violence against Papuan journalists: Oktovianus Pogau (westpapuamedia.info)
- Indonesian special forces hunt West Papuan environmentalist (westpapuamedia.info)
- Security forces urged not to resort to violence on the anniversary of KRP-III (westpapuamedia.info)
- So, who is the real terrorist? West Papua Responses to Australia, U.S. and Indonesia (westpapuamedia.info)
- Breaking News: Security Forces Attack Knpb Demo in Jayapura (westpapuamedia.info)
- Indonesia cannot kill our spirit for freedom: West Papuan leader (westpapuamedia.info)
- All the ingredients for genocide: is West Papua the next East Timor? (westpapuamedia.info)
- 7.30 Report (ABC): West Papua arrests highlight Australian Detachment 88 links (westpapuamedia.info)