‘It is quite legitimate for Papuans to commemorate the KRP-III within the framework of our system of democracy. Every citizen has the right to give expression to their aspirations, as long as they do so by lawful means,’ said Ruben Magai, chairman of Commission A of the DRP Papua.’ He was speaking in response to questions from the press.
He said that the security forces should not resort to the use of violence in dealing with the aspirations of the people. ‘Dont keep using violence because this only traumatises the Papuan people. In any system of democracy, it is quite natural for people to give expression to their aspirations.’
He went on to say that the government in Papua is behaving undemocratically in many ways. Activists are facing a lot of intimidation. ‘If it continues to ignore democratic principles, the problem of Papua will never be solved.’
He said that the way to resolve the problem is to enter into dialogue. ‘It is only through dialogue that this problem should be handled. The use of violence will only attract the attention of the international community and will deeply wound the feelings of the Papuan people.’
He said in addition that if greater pressure is exerted against Papuan people, they will make their voices heard loud and clear. The more that pressure is used, the louder they will shout.’ he said.
He also said that the special autonomy law for Papua (OTSUS) adopted eleven years ago has proved worthless because it has failed to protect the interests of the Papuan people. ‘OTSUS means nothing any more because it has failed to protect the interests of the Papuan people. An example was the way the governor was chosen. This problem has now been returned to the KPU – election commission. which means that there is nothing special at all about OTSUS.
Translated by Tapol
- A Papuan who writes prolifically to promote the identity of his people (westpapuamedia.info)
- Densus 88 sweeps force hundreds to flee from Baliem Valley villages (westpapuamedia.info)
- First anniversary of Third Papuan Congress to be celebrated (westpapuamedia.info)
- Indonesian police fire shots, tear gas after 100s of Morning Star flags fly at peaceful demo in Manokwari (westpapuamedia.info)
- Wamena Bomb Scenario is false: Open letter from Wamena KNPB chief (westpapuamedia.info)
- So, who is the real terrorist? West Papua Responses to Australia, U.S. and Indonesia (westpapuamedia.info)