WEST PAPUA MEDIA
10:00AM WEST PAPUA TIME, OCTOBER 23 2012
REPORTS HAVE BEEN RECEIVED FROM WEST PAPUA COMMUNICATIONS TEAMS OF CURRENT ATTACK BY INDONESIAN SECURITY FORCES ON KNPB DEMO IN JAYAPURA
Breaking News: Jayapura Police have started to disperse thousands of KNPB protestors with water cannon and tear gas, major beatings by thousands of riot police, scores arrested. No CONFIRMED reports currently of live fire being used, however troops are heavily armed with live rounds. Developing Story. More to come – please spread widely.
THIS IS A MAJOR DEVELOPING STORY – PLEASE STAND BY FOR MORE INFO.
Confirmed info from Reliable contacts in Jayapura: Sourced from a Papuan TNI member who is Papuan, and who is informing our stringers:
Protestors to start at 10 am Papua time – likelihood of violent action by security forces – stand by
1. TNI have readied 5000 personnel, tanks (Panzer APC/ASLAVS) and helicopters in Jayapura. All are on a state of alert.
2. Just heard from one of the protestors on site that said police are gathered in large numbers in Jayapura
“Apparently a lot of people ), have flown down to Jayapura from Wamena these last days to join there as too unpredictable how Indonesian security forces may retaliate in Wamena.”
Last night, major sweeps occurred in Waena to arrest any higlander potentially involved in KNPB demos today. At 10:43pm, hundreds of fully armed police complete with equipment and Panzer armoured personnel carriers, scores of Avanza cars, overran National Housing Authority dormitory complex III (Yakuhimo regency student accommodation). Massive sweeping, many arrests, beatings, unconfirmed numbers.
KNPB members rallying across Papua today held prayers last night, telling WPM “we are ready to be killed today”. 10am Papua time rally start, massive violence expected from security forces. “It felt like the night before battle where only one side has guns, said WPM’s stringer. Please monitor.
- Indonesia cannot kill our spirit for freedom: West Papuan leader (westpapuamedia.info)
- Indonesian special forces hunt West Papuan environmentalist (westpapuamedia.info)
- Wamena Bomb Scenario is false: Open letter from Wamena KNPB chief (westpapuamedia.info)
- Densus 88 sweeps force hundreds to flee from Baliem Valley villages (westpapuamedia.info)
- TPN denies involvement in “unknown persons” terror plot in Wamena (westpapuamedia.info)
- Reports of violent crackdown in West Papua on People’s Congress anniversary (pacific.scoop.co.nz)