He also said that Kopassus forces plan to conduct expeditions in various parts of in West Papua to investigate the what is going on there and what it is that the people there actually want.’
Earlier on, a representative of Kontras, Indria Fernida, the chairperson of the Synod of the Kingmi Church, Revd Benny Giay and the secretary of the Working Group of NGOs in Papua, Septer Manufandu made it clear the military approach is still being prioritized in West Papua.
Moreover, the welfare approach that has for so long been proclaimed by the authorities was far from being pursued to any meaningful extent or in any way to the satisfaction of the aspirations of the Papuan people.
[Abridged in translation by TAPOL]
- An urgent note to our readers regarding latest OTK shootings (westpapuamedia.info)
- Yapen TPN HQ raided by Kopassus as state repression intensifies across remote island (westpapuamedia.info)
- Flag-flying across West Papua planned for 1 July; Police are ready to respond (westpapuamedia.info)
- Giay: West Papua – Land of Mourning, Bloodshed (Peace?) and Humanitarian Intervention (westpapuamedia.info)
- German born tourist shot by “unknown persons” whilst on a beach in Jayapura (westpapuamedia.info)
- KNPB leader Mako Tabuni shot dead by Aust-funded Indonesian Detachment 88 troops; riots in Jayapura (westpapuamedia.info)
- Violence reinforces Papua’s independence aspirations, say church leaders (westpapuamedia.info)
- Kopassus officer given NZ training – Defence (radionz.co.nz)