Imparsial, the Indonesian Human Rights Monitor, has expressed concern about the many acts of terrorism such as shootings by OTK – Orang Tak Dikenal – in Papua. The executive director of Imparsial, Poengky Indarti,called on President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono (SBY) to get involved in solving the problem and accept responsibility for a situation that threatens the lives of civil society..
‘These mysterious killings are a threat to innocent people and must be stopped without delay,’ she said. ‘The President must summon all the authorities, the chief of police, the military commander, the chief of BIN – the intelligence agency, and the Minister of the Interior and acting governors .He must take responsibility for safeguarding the lives of the people.
‘There are indications that neither of the governors are conducting an oversight of the activities of the troops in Papua who seem to be out of control.’
‘This situation must not be allowed to continue,’ she said, adding that the President ‘must immediately start making preparations for a Jakarta-Papua dialogue so as discuss what the problems are in Papua.’
She also said that according to Imparsial one of the problems is the process of electing the governors. Her organisation sees the shootings as preparatory to the forthcoming elections of the governors. This is what happened some time ago in Aceh when the same kind of thing happened. There are vested interests in Jakarta who want to benefit from disturbances in the regions as the year 2014 approaches [the next round of presidential, parliamentary and gubernatorial elections.]
[Behind the speaker is a poster with the words: WHO IS THE MASTERMIND?]
[Translated by TAPOL]
- Doubts grow of OPM responsibility for Puncak Jaya aircraft shooting (westpapuamedia.info)
- Ban Ki-Moon gets “diplomatic answers” from SBY over Papua (westpapuamedia.info)
- Thousands across Papua demand UN step up to protect Papuan people: PHOTO AND VIDEO REPORT (westpapuamedia.info)
- German born tourist shot by “unknown persons” whilst on a beach in Jayapura (westpapuamedia.info)
- Police who shot Papuans in Degeuwo must be arrested, says Imparsial (westpapuamedia.info)