Al Jazeera reports “exclusively” on Indonesia operation that left at least two people dead. (WestPapuaMedia note: Al-Jazeera has utilised footage that was FIRST provided by West Papua Media but has not been acknowledged by Vaessen. see http://wp.me/p1aPlR-UY and http://wp.me/p1aPlR-Vy )
|Indonesian forces have raided a meeting of the Papuan independence movement, killing at least two of its members and arresting hundreds more.Rights group Amnesty International is asking the government to release the leaders, who have been charged with treason.Papuan groups have also requested that the United Nations investigate the violence.
Meanwhile, the Indonesian government defended the security forces response, saying participants of Wednesday’s meeting were committing a coup d’etat.
Journalists are banned from travelling to Papua, but Al Jazeera obtained exclusive footage of the raid.
Step Vaessen reports from Jakarta.
- It’s Time To Take A Stand On Papua (westpapuamedia.info)
- 800 arrested, many tortured after troops open fire on Papuan Congress (westpapuamedia.info)
- LP3BP: The Papuan people have the right to self Determination (westpapuamedia.info)
- Activists detained for attending consolidation meeting (westpapuamedia.info)
- Photo/video report: Heavy handed intimidation fails to dampen Papuan Congress spirit; police threaten forced dispersal (westpapuamedia.info)