The basic viewpoint of the founders at that time was that many legal and human rights abuses were not being resolved in accordance with the principles of justice and fairness and there was the need for a body to be set up that was in favour of upholding law and human rights in Manokwari and West Papua [which was known at the time as Birds Head.]
On the occasion of its XVth anniversary on 12 October 2011, the LP3BH wishes to make public its attitude on a number of social and political problems, as follows:
1. The LP3BH is profoundly aware of and in agreement with the opinion that the Papuan people who for almost forty years, under both the old and the new order governments, have never had the opportunity to assemble and consult each other about their fate and their future as a community of people who have the right to self-determination.
2. The LP3BH believes that the political history of Papua as a result of integration needs to be rectified in accordance with the message adopted at the second Papuan Congress to enter into peaceful dialogue with the Indonesian government, with international mediation.
3. The LP3BH understands and continues to believe that the many criminal actions such as murders, emergency executions and shootings in and around Jayapura, in the districts of Ilaga-Papua and Puncak Jaya as well as the shootings that continue to occur around the Freeport-Indonesia mine are a clear indication // of the involvement of certain elements of the security forces of the Indonesian army (TNI), and must therefore be handled by criminal investigations undertaken by the Indonesian police force which is the only force with the legal and judicial powers to do so.
4. The soial and political situation in Papua has greatly improved as a result of the Papuan people deciding to pursue the path of peace in their efforts to solve the conflict in the Land of Papua.
5. Acts of violence continue to occur in the Land of Papua and take the form of physical violence as well as armed conflict.
Based on the situation described above, the LP3BH/Manokwari makes the following demands:
1. The Indonesian Government should put an end to all overt military operations as well as intelligence operations which continue to be conducted against the background and paradigm of security disturbances without being based on political State policies adopted by the Indonesian Parliament/DPR-RI
2. The Indonesian Government should respond wisely and diligently to each and every offer by the Papuan people to enter into peaceful dialogue free from violence in order to seek a solution to the conflict in the Land of Papua.
3. The Indonesian Government should adopt a more democratic approach, without any movement of espionage, to build a Land of Papua which is more humane. and just and is at all times ready to listen to the innermost feelings of the Papuan people
- A security force of 4,000 to guard Third Papuan People’s Congress (westpapuamedia.info)
- Warinussy on the politics behind the recent conflicts in Papua (westpapuamedia.info)
- Greens call for release of West Papuans in custody (westpapuamedia.info)
- Third Grand Papua Congress to be held this year (westpapuamedia.info)
- Activists detained for attending consolidation meeting (westpapuamedia.info)