Updated October 27, 2011 16:57:44
More footage has emerged of a shooting in the Indonesian province of West Papua last week… that human rights campaigners say left at least seven people dead and dozens more injured.
Soldiers reportedly opened fire after thousands of people declared independence from Indonesia at the Papuan People’s Congress.
Papuans in exile say that despite the crackdown their campaign for independence is growing – and they want the Indonesian Government to start negotiating.
Presenter: Liz Hobday
Speaker: Professor Peter King, University of Sydney
- Listen: Windows Media
- Csw Urges Indonesia to Establish Dialogue With Papuan People Following Brutal Crackdown by Military in West Papua (westpapuamedia.info)
- AWPA: Increasing tension in West Papua (westpapuamedia.info)
- AJE: Forces raid Papuan independence gathering (westpapuamedia.info)
- Report by GKI on Third Papuan Congress and Declaration of Independence (westpapuamedia.info)
- AWPA: CHOGM leaders should condemn the brutal crackdown on the West Papuan people (westpapuamedia.info)