CRACKDOWN ACROSS PAPUA: OCTOBER 23 KNPB DEMO UPDATES
1400 WEST PAPUA TIME OCTOBER 23, 2012
CURRENT SITUATION UPDATES:
Two demonstrations held; 1 in Waena, one at Taman Imbi. Jayapura is spread out across a wide area.
Taman Imbi event was banned by police, so majority of folks moved to Waena or went home after seeing police show of force.
Confirmed from Waena, Jayapura dispersal this morning: 5 arrests including Misael Maisini, Chairman of Front Pepera. Tear Gas and Water Cannon used, while KNPB were holding rally at the site of former KNPB leader Mako Tabuni’s assassination by Densus 88 troops in June. Outside the Perunas 3 Housing complex (Yakuhimo dormitory) that was raided last night by joint TNI/Police force hunting for KNPB activists. Rally due to end soon, please stay tuned.
Police arrest KNPB activists in front of Manokwari uni campus, beaten, & taken into police trucks, according field journo Oktovianus Pogau.
Oktovianus Pogau of SuaraPapua.com was badly beaten by five Indonesian police today while covering KNPB demo outside State University of Papua, Manokwari. Pogau showed press card but still beaten. His lips were bleeding. – via Andreas Harsono.
Independent sources confirm that KNPB peace demo forcibly broken up by hundreds of armed riot lice from Kapolres Manokwari, at 0930 West Papua Time.
Manokwari, latest unconfirmed reports: 3 Wamena men shot dead instantly, 2 critically wounded and in hospital, by massive TNI/Polri hunting party that has raided the Highland dormitories at the State University of Papua, searching for KNPB activists who have dispersed in terror, according to informants in Manokwari. Unconfirmed Reports that 2 Indonesian men on Motorbikes, believed to be undercover Special Forces or Intelligence officers, have been shot with bow and arrow allegedly from highlanders. Witnesses dispute if it was in retaliation for earlier shooting deaths, or was self-defence during raid – difference of less than a minute. Raids are currently ongoing, reports of hundreds of people being rounded up by Indonesian security forces shutting down KNPB demos. Developing story – please stay tuned.
Confirmed names of four Wamena victims of Manokwari UNIPA raid by TNI/Polri: – 1 critically injured man is now dead:
1. Eduard Wantik
Unconfirmed reports of arrests in Biak at KNPB demo. Currently verifying.
Police reportedly dismantle stage for KNPB rally at Tambarui Complex, Fakfak. Demo banned, no reports yet of violence.
Communications have been cut, last reports of entire 756 Battalion and all police on streets preventing any one from gathering. Grave fears for Wamena civilian safety.
More to come – please stay tuned
- Breaking News: Security Forces Attack Knpb Demo in Jayapura (westpapuamedia.info)
- Indonesia cannot kill our spirit for freedom: West Papuan leader (westpapuamedia.info)
- Indonesian special forces hunt West Papuan environmentalist (westpapuamedia.info)
- Densus 88 sweeps force hundreds to flee from Baliem Valley villages (westpapuamedia.info)
- Reports of violent crackdown in West Papua on People’s Congress anniversary (pacific.scoop.co.nz)
- Indonesian special forces hunt West Papuan environmentalist (pacific.scoop.co.nz)
- TPN denies involvement in “unknown persons” terror plot in Wamena (westpapuamedia.info)
- 7.30 Report (ABC): West Papua arrests highlight Australian Detachment 88 links (westpapuamedia.info)
- Wamena Bomb Scenario is false: Open letter from Wamena KNPB chief (westpapuamedia.info)
- Demos commemorating FRWP 1st anniversary held across Papua (westpapuamedia.info)