Third Papuan Congress to go ahead despite efforts to obstruct it
[Abridged in translation by TAPOL]
Although the Third Papuan Congress is due to start in two days time, it is not yet known where it will take place. Selpius Bobii, chairman of the organising committee, said that plans to hold the congress at Cenderawasih University are facing obstacles because permission for the UNCEN auditorium has not yet been granted even though, he said, notification of the congress had already been submitted some time ago. Permission to hold the congress at GOR Cenderawasih has also not been received.
Bobii said that those organising the congress believe that there are forces who are exerting pressure to ensure that neither of these locations will be made available. He went on to say that however that may be, the congress will go ahead as planned because Papuan people throughout the territory fully support it.
Bobii said that they were still waiting for permission (STTP) from the police.The main issues to be discussed are the basic rights of the Papuan people in a situation where Papuans are being violated and intimidated. The intention is to discuss the things they are experiencing and what measures they need to take to uphold their rights.
The congress will go ahead without any support from the central government; all expences will be covered by the Papuan people themselves, transportation, food and drink will be provided thanks to contributions from Papuan people.
While there are elements who are trying to prevent the congress from taking place and spreading all kinds of stories to discredit it,, Bobii said this was simply a reflection of the democracy now in place. He said that what was most important was that 273 Papuan tribes would be attending the congress, covering their own costs and even helping out with financing the congress as a whole. ‘There is nothing that will stand in our way,’ he said. Also, security will be guaranteed by a force of about 4,000 people. If anyone moves to prevent the congress from taking place, he said, they will expose the forces who are behind these attempts.
More than 8,000 people have already arrived. As for the location, if not in the UNCEN auditorium, it may take place in Theys Square in Sentani or at the graveside of Theys Eluay, as the final alternative.
As for the police permit, this will not be a problem because the central government has already given the green light. Bobii also said that they had received a letter from the minister of political and legal affairs in Jakarta which, he said, had arrived by fax. This means, he went on, that ‘neither the military commander or the chief of police can prevent us from proceeding with our agenda’.
- A security force of 4,000 to guard Third Papuan People’s Congress (westpapuamedia.info)
- Committee claims that Third Papua Congress has Jakarta’s support (westpapuamedia.info)
- Thousands expected to attend Third Papuan People’s Congress (westpapuamedia.info)
- LP3BP: The Papuan people have the right to self Determination (westpapuamedia.info)
- Photos: Indonesian Police open fire on student dormitory in Jayapura (westpapuamedia.info)
This entry was posted on October 17, 2011 by westpapuamedia. It was filed under News alert, syndication and was tagged with Cenderawasih University, DAP, Dewan Adat Papua, Forkorus Yoboisembut, human rights, indonesia, indonesian government, Jakarta, Jayapura, knpb, Papua, Papuan people, Politics of Indonesia, Selpius Bobii, Theys ELuay, UNCEN, Universal Right to Self Determination, west papua.