HRW: Indonesia – Lift Restrictions on Reporting, Access to Papua

HRW

HUMAN RIGHTS WATCH

Indonesia: Lift Restrictions on

Reporting, Access to Papua [1]

Invite UN Rights Experts to Increasingly Violent Eastern Provinces
June 13, 2012

(New York) – The Indonesian government should allow foreign media and civil society groups access to Papua to report on violence and rights violations since May that have left at least 14 dead.

Human Rights Watch urged Indonesia to accept calls made at the United Nations Human Rights Council to permit access to the province and to issue standing invitations to UN human rights experts.

“By keeping Papua behind a curtain, the Indonesian government is fostering impunity among military forces and resentment among Papuans,” said Elaine Pearson, deputy Asia director at Human Rights Watch. “It needs to let the media and civil society shine a light on conditions in the province.”

Human Rights Watch said that the Indonesian government has failed to hold to account those responsible for recent violence in Papua. On June 6, 2012, a crowd stabbed one Indonesian soldier to death and seriously injured another after their motorcycle struck a Papuan child in Honai Lama District in Wamena, a city in Papua’s Central Highlands.

In retaliation, hundreds of soldiers from the 756th battalion swept through Honai Lama and elsewhere in Wamena, beating and stabbing residents and burning homes. A Papuan civil servant, Elianus Yoman, reportedly died from bayonet wounds. Seven other Papuans were injured and hospitalized. The soldiers set numerous buildings and motor vehicles on fire, causing many villagers to flee into surrounding forest.

An Indonesian military spokesman in Jayapura, Papua’s capital, initially denied that soldiers had injured any Papuans. But Indonesia’s president, Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, later conceded [4] that the Indonesian security forces overreacted in their response.

There have been a number of other violent incidents reported recently in Papua’s capital. Since May 23, unknown gunmen shot dead several non-Papuan migrants. A German tourist was shot on May 29 and was sent for treatment to a hospital in Singapore. The police forcibly broke up a protest on June 4 by the National Committee for West Papua (Komite Nasional Papua Barat or KNPB), a militant Papuan independence group, reportedly killing three student members. A KNPB member was also reported shot to death earlier on May 1.

The response of the national government to the growing violence in Papua has been inadequate, Human Rights Watch said. Yudhoyono told reporters on June 12, “The action [attacks in Papua] can be said to have happened on a small scale with limited victims.… The figure is far [lower] than the violence in the Middle East, [where] we can witnesses, every day, attacks and violence with huge numbers of deaths.”

“President Yudhoyono should stop making excuses for his government’s failure to investigate the violence,” said Pearson. “Allowing full access to the province for UN rights experts, the press, and other monitors could curtail the rumors and misinformation that often fuel abuses.”

The Indonesia government sharply restricts access to its easternmost provinces, Papua and West Papua. Military forces have been deployed there since 1963 to counter a long-simmering independence movement. Foreigners are required to obtain a special permit to visit the areas. Such permits are routinely denied or the processing delayed, hampering efforts by journalists and civil society groups to report on breaking events.

During the Universal Periodic Review of Indonesia at the UN Human Rights Council on May 23, France called on Indonesia to ensure free access for civil society and journalists to Papua and West Papua. The United Kingdom noted the “increase in violence” in Papua and “encouraged Indonesia to tackle violence against minority faiths and accept visit requests by Special Rapporteurs.” Austria, Chile, the Maldives, and South Korea called on Indonesia to accept standing invitations to the UN rights experts and groups known as special procedures. Mexico specifically asked the Indonesian government to invite the special rapporteurs to Papua.

The previous UN Special Rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions, Philip Alston, made a request to visit Indonesia in 2004 and again in 2008, to which he never received a response.

“Several states registered concerns at the UN Human Rights Council about Indonesia’s failure to invite UN experts to the country,” said Pearson. “If Indonesia wants to be taken seriously in Geneva, it shouldn’t continue to ignore this request.”


Links:
[1] http://www.hrw.org/news/2012/06/13/indonesia-lift-restrictions-reporting-access-papua
[2] http://twitter.com/share?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hrw.org%2Fnews%2F2012%2F06%2F13%2Findonesia-lift-restrictions-reporting-access-papua&count=horizontal&via=&text=Indonesia%3A%20Lift%20Restrictions%20on%20Reporting%2C%20Access%20to%20Papua&counturl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hrw.org%2Fnews%2F2012%2F06%2F13%2Findonesia-lift-restrictions-reporting-access-papua
[3] http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hrw.org%2Fnews%2F2012%2F06%2F13%2Findonesia-lift-restrictions-reporting-access-papua&layout=button_count&show_faces=false&action=recommend&colorscheme=light&width=150&height=21&font=&locale=
[4] http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/news/sby-sanctions-for-papua-law-enforcers-committing-inappropriate-actions/523951

© Copyright 2012, Human Rights Watch

Amnesty: Investigate military attacks on villagers in Wamena, Papua

AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL
PUBLIC STATEMENT
8 June 2012
Index: ASA 21/020/2012
Indonesia: Investigate military attacks on villagers in Wamena, Papua

The Indonesian authorities must ensure a prompt, independent and impartial investigation into reports of unnecessary and excessive use of force including firearms by security forces in Wamena, Papua province.

In the afternoon of 6 June 2012, two soldiers on motorcycles reportedly ran over and injured a 3 year-old child playing by the side of the road in the village of Honelama in Wamena. Villagers who witnessed the incident chased the soldiers and stabbed one to death and injured the other.

In retaliation, two trucks of soldiers from army battalion Yonif 756/Wamena arrived at Honelama village not long after and reportedly opened fire arbitrarily on the village killing one person, Elinus Yoman. According to reliable local sources, soldiers also stabbed around a dozen people with their bayonets. In addition, soldiers reportedly burned down dozens of homes, buildings and vehicles during the attack. Many of the villagers have fled the area and are afraid to return to their homes.

Amnesty International acknowledges the difficulties faced by security forces in Indonesia, especially when confronted with violence. Persons suspected of committing violent crimes, including against members of security forces, must be brought to justice. However, suspects must be identified individually for arrest and prosecution in accordance with the law – there is no place for collective punishment and random, vindictive violence.

The power of law enforcement officials to use force is restricted by relevant international human rights law and standards, the basis of which is the need to respect and protect the right to life. This right is provided for in Article 6 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), to which Indonesia is a state party, which also provides that this right must never be derogated from, including in times of emergency. The right to life is also provided for in the Indonesian Constitution.

If the investigations find that the security forces committed unlawful killings or used force unnecessarily or excessively, then those responsible, including persons with command responsibility, must be prosecuted in civilian courts in proceedings which meet international standards of fairness.  Victims must be provided with reparations.

Credible reports of human rights violations committed by the security forces continue to emerge in the provinces of Papua and West Papua, including torture and other ill-treatment, unnecessary and excessive use of force, including firearms, and unlawful killings.

Despite a public commitment made by President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono in February 2012 that cases of human rights violations would be “legally processed and perpetrators penalized”, investigations into reports of abuses by security forces are rare and only a few perpetrators have been brought to justice.

The lack of accountability is exacerbated by the failure to revise the Law on Military Tribunals (Law No. 31/1997). Military personnel charged with human right offences are tried in military courts. Amnesty International has expressed concerned about the lack of independence and impartiality of these trials.

Amnesty International urges the Indonesian government to address the culture of impunity in Papua by taking the necessary steps to ensure that all security forces responsible for human rights violations are held accountable. The government must also immediately revise the Law on Military Tribunals so that military personnel suspected of offences involving human rights violations can be investigated and tried in an independent civilian judicial system and victims and witnesses provided with adequate protection.
http://www.amnesty.org/en/library/info/ASA21/020/2012/en


Sharp increase in international concern about Papua

Indonesia’s human rights record reviewed at UN Human Rights Council

TAPOL press release

London, 23 May 2012 – Today, Indonesia’s human rights record was reviewed by the UN Human Rights Council during the 13th session of the Universal Periodic Review in Geneva, Switzerland. Concerns about human rights in Papua increased sharply since the last review in 2008, with a significant number of member states raising concerns about freedom of expression, human rights defenders and political prisoners in the region.

“While Indonesia today said it is using a ‘welfare and development’
approach in Papua, the continued presence of thousands of troops and
dozens of political prisoners suggests otherwise,” said Paul Barber,
Coordinator of TAPOL.

TAPOL and United for Truth (Bersatu Untuk Keadilan, BUK) submitted a
report to the review process, making recommendations to improve the
human rights situation in Papua by ending the stigmatisation of
peaceful political activity, repealing repressive legislation and
releasing political prisoners.

Concerns raised by TAPOL based on inputs from local NGOs were picked
up by a number of Member States during the review. Switzerland and
Mexico were among those States questioning Indonesia’s worrying human
rights record in Papua, joined by regional neighbours New Zealand and
Japan. The United States called for action on Indonesia’s repressive
treason laws, backed by Canada and Germany who further called for the
release of peaceful political prisoners.

While Indonesia today announced that it intends to issue an invitation to the Special Rapporteur on freedom of expression, Mr Frank La Rue, it was unclear whether he would be guaranteed free access to the Papua provinces.

Restrictions on access for foreign media and civil society were
challenged by a number of States including France and Australia, while Germany called for immediate access for the ICRC, who were ejected from Papua in 2010.

“The international community has today sent a clear message to Indonesia that the human rights situation in Papua is totally unacceptable,” noted Barber. “With increasing regional and international engagement on the issue, the pressure is on for Indonesia to provide a meaningful response.”

14th Year of ELSHAM Papua Presence in the Land of Papua


KITONG MAU TANAH PAPUA DAMAI*

 (Media Release: 14th Year of ELSHAM Papua Presence in the Land of Papua)

S

ince its founding in 5 May 1998, Institute for Human Rights Study and Advocacy of Papua (ELSHAM Papua) has consistently endeavored to promote observance and respect for human rights in the Land of Papua. ELSHAM Papua’s creation constitutes a response to ongoing human rights violations in Papua which warrant specific and comprehensive handling. ELSHAM is a non government organization (NGO) founded by 3 major church denomination, namely Evangelical Christian Church in the Land of Papua (GKI Di Tanah Papua), Catholic Diocese of Jayapura, and Gospel Tabernacle Church of Papua (Kingmi), with an aim to promote observance and respect for human rights in the Land of Papua.

Being  then the most prominent human rights organisation to tackle gross human rights violations in Papua ELSHAM managed to provide advocacy and campaigns for a number of human right violation cases like: Biak case ( 6 July 1998), Mapnduma (August 1996), Nabire (May 2000), Abepura (7 December 2000), Wamena (6 October 2000), Wasior (June 2001), Theys Eluay (10 November 2001), Timika (October 2002), and some others. Since 1998 – 2004, ELSHAM Papua regularly intervened at the UN Human Rights High Commission in Geneva to report on the human rights situation resulting in the visits to Papua by two UN Special Rapporteurs:  UN Special Rapporteur on Torture (2007) UN Special Rapporteur on Human Rights Defenders (2007).

Observing the human rights situation in the Land of Papua since mid 2011 until now, there is an increase of violence. ELSHAM noted that between July to September 2011 there has been at least 28 cases of violence which took the lives of Papuan civilians as well as the Indonesian security personnel.  Despite the fact that Papuans have declared their desire to create peace through Papua Peace Conference on 5-7 July 2011, nonetheless sporadic violence continued to occur in Puncak Jaya and Timika areas.

Violent acts resurfaced on 19 October 2011 when police personnel backed by the TNI force violently dispersed the Third Papuan People Congress at Zakheus soccer field in Abepura. 3 civilians were killed while 387 others arbitrarily arrested and detained for more than 24 hours.

Other violent act by security personnel also occurred through limited military operation in the Puncak Jaya and Paniai regions under Operation AMAN MATOA (Operation Secure Matoa) and Operation TUMPAS MATOA I (Operation Eradicate Matoa I) 2011. On 13 December 2011 around 07.30 AM (Eastern Indonesia Time), 6 groups of Mobile Brigade personnel attacked the head-quarter of War Area Command IV (TPN-OPM Kodap IV) of the Papua National Liberation Army at Eduda Hills in the Paniai region. A privately owned helicopter was used by the attacking Mobile Brigade force. This military offence was directly led by commander of Operation Tumpas Matoa Senior Police Commissioner Leo Bona Lubis. ELSHAM’s volunteer in Enarotali reported that as a result of this operation at least 14 people were killed, 6 were wounded, and hundreds of civilians living in nearby villages fled to Enarotali,  Dogiyai and Deiyai.

Conflict and violence that erupted in Ilaga of Puncak Jaya regency was a tragedy. This conflict was triggered by provision of recommendations to two candidates who were competing for the position of Head Regency of Puncak Jaya.  The central management of Gerindra Party in Jakarta recommended Simon Alom as their chosen candidate to run for the position, whilst the provincial Gerindra party officials in Jayapura recommended Elvis Tabuni, another candidate. These conflicting recommendations resulted in open conflicts between the supporters of the two candidates. War between the two opposing groups lasted from 31 July 2011 to 25 February 2012, creating a death toll of 94 people: 72 died of attacks from both parties, 22 died while taking refuge. At least 1.573 people were reported to have fled to Nabire as a result of the conflict in Puncak Jaya. Others who fled to other areas have not been documented.

Looking at the significant rising trend of violence in Papua which claimed many lives then the endeavor to create peace in the Land of Papua must be the priority of all people. Since 2002 ELSHAM Papua has actively engaged with other parties to create peace in the Land of Papua. ELSHAM Papua believed that conflicts occurring in Papua can be settled peacefully.

The people of Papua have creatively proposed for dialogue to find solutions to problems in the Land of Papua. Papuan people’s initiative to engage in dialogue with the government of Indonesia was positively responded by the Indonesian President on 9 November 2011. Until now the people of Papua still wait for realization of the intent of the Indonesian government to create peace in Papua.

Commemorating the 14th anniversary of ELSHAM Papua we would like to extend our highest appreciation to all people who incessantly work to create peace in the Land of Papua. May the effort expended to create PAPUA LAND OF PEACE can be realized.

Director of Elsham Papua

Ferdinand Marisan, S.Sos

MP : +62 (0)81344937471

Email: marisan_ferry@yahoo.com.au


*    14th year reflection of endeavor to realize justice in the Land of Papua.


***ELSHAM NEWS SERVICE provides regular reports and information on social and political development and their implication on Human Rights situation and democracy in Papua. The reports and information provided are obtained from ELSHAM PAPUA local, national and international networks. Those interested in subscribing to this service are advised to register to ELSHAM PAPUA. Please provide complete information (Name of institution/ or individual; address, etc). ELSHAM PAPUA is a human right organization with a mission to eliminate militarism, impunity, and to promote Human Rights and democracy. And to promoye human rights education for the people of Papua. ELSHAM PAPUA was founded on 5 May 1998.

Indonesia conducts more culpable targetting of leading Papuan politicians

 PRESS RELEASE – FEDERATED REPUBLIC OF WEST PAPUA

1 May 2012

The Indonesian Republic’s top-level intelligence of its special forces (KOPASSUS) held a secret meeting in Manokwari on Friday 27 April 2012 to finalize plans for the kidnapping and assasination of key leaders of the Federated Republic of West Papua.

The leak shows those named for elimination as President Forkorus Yaboisembut and Prime Minister Edison Waromi.  Other listed are Aluis Aso and Sius Ayemi; Hendrik Warmetan, Edison Kendi and Daud Abon from Serui;  Markus Yenu and Billy Auparay from Manokwari.

At its inauguration on 19 October 2011, the Federated Republic of West Papua outlined its intention—and policy—of charging politicians as well as military commanders for war crimes.

Today on 1 May 2012, in non-violent rallies across the territory, the Republic is demanding concerted action by the Netherlands, the United States, and the United Nations in down-grading the level of Indonesian militarism and governance in West Papua.

Head of Police in Serui Regency, Roycke Harry Langie S.IK MH, refused permission for the Federated Republic of West Papua to hold its rally, even while citing rights under Indonesian regulation No. 9/1998 concerning free speech in public spaces.

“The Police Commander’s order not only violates Regulation No. 9, but also Article 28 of the Indonesian Constitution 1945” said Jacob Rumbiak.

“The Indonesian government is jammed between the political sophistication of the Papuan Republic and the Australian, American, and British governments fiscal support for its Special Autonomy projects” he added.

Interviews available (English, Indonesian) – Please contact West Papua Media

(West Papua Media has spoken with Markus Yenu, one of those targeted, and he has confirmed that he has personally seen the intelligence documents, and is fearful for his safety.)

Create a website or blog at WordPress.com

Up ↑