A Papuan human rights group says Indonesian helicopters have been strafing villages, killing more than a dozen people and displacing up to 25,000 others, in their latest operation against the Free Papua Movement, or OPM.
Indonesian media has reported clashed between OPM fighters and the police and military – known as TNI – in the past week in the troubled province.
West Papuans have been seeking independence since Indonesia invaded in 1962, at the end of 130 years of Dutch colonial rule.
Stefan Armbruster spoke with the director of the Institute of Human Rights Study and Advocacy in the Papuan city of Jayapura, Ferry Marisan.
Download Episode 00:03:09 2MB
- A Christmas Message to SBY from Papuan Churches (westpapuamedia.info)
- SBY: Non-organic troops to withdraw from Papua, UP4B Suspended (westpapuamedia.info)
- Australia must act after more conflict in West Papua: Greens (westpapuamedia.info)
- Papuan Church Leaders request dialogue during meeting with Indonesian President (westpapuamedia.info)
- SBS Radio: West Papuans fear flag day crackdown (westpapuamedia.info)