PRESS RELEASE – FEDERATED REPUBLIC OF WEST PAPUA
1 May 2012
The Indonesian Republic’s top-level intelligence of its special forces (KOPASSUS) held a secret meeting in Manokwari on Friday 27 April 2012 to finalize plans for the kidnapping and assasination of key leaders of the Federated Republic of West Papua.
The leak shows those named for elimination as President Forkorus Yaboisembut and Prime Minister Edison Waromi. Other listed are Aluis Aso and Sius Ayemi; Hendrik Warmetan, Edison Kendi and Daud Abon from Serui; Markus Yenu and Billy Auparay from Manokwari.
At its inauguration on 19 October 2011, the Federated Republic of West Papua outlined its intention—and policy—of charging politicians as well as military commanders for war crimes.
Today on 1 May 2012, in non-violent rallies across the territory, the Republic is demanding concerted action by the Netherlands, the United States, and the United Nations in down-grading the level of Indonesian militarism and governance in West Papua.
Head of Police in Serui Regency, Roycke Harry Langie S.IK MH, refused permission for the Federated Republic of West Papua to hold its rally, even while citing rights under Indonesian regulation No. 9/1998 concerning free speech in public spaces.
“The Police Commander’s order not only violates Regulation No. 9, but also Article 28 of the Indonesian Constitution 1945” said Jacob Rumbiak.
“The Indonesian government is jammed between the political sophistication of the Papuan Republic and the Australian, American, and British governments fiscal support for its Special Autonomy projects” he added.
Interviews available (English, Indonesian) – Please contact West Papua Media
(West Papua Media has spoken with Markus Yenu, one of those targeted, and he has confirmed that he has personally seen the intelligence documents, and is fearful for his safety.)
- 28th anniversary of the death of Arnold Ap to be commemorated (westpapuamedia.info)
- Thousands across Papua demand UN step up to protect Papuan people: PHOTO AND VIDEO REPORT (westpapuamedia.info)
- Rallies calling on Ban Ki-Moon to protect Papuans to be held across Papua and Australia, on March 19 (westpapuamedia.info)
- Sambom: ‘Imprisonment will never silence Papuans’ (westpapuamedia.info)
- “The Indonesian Government Occupies, Colonises and Marginalises Indigenous Papuans” (westpapuamedia.info)
- KNPB: Police Chief’s Statement Has No Legal Basis (westpapuamedia.info)
- Recovering the State of West Papua, Sentenced to Three Years in Jail (westpapuamedia.info)
- Concerns of JPIC in Papua regarding the situation in Papua (westpapuamedia.info)