The police chief of the district of Mimika, Jeremias Runtini has called on the people to ‘remain calm’ as1 December approaches. He said that people should act together to safeguard security and public order and should avoid getting involved in activities that tend towards subversion such as flying the Morning Star flag.
He said that to mark its anniversary, the OPM, Organisasi Papua Merdeka, the Papuan Freedom Movement, usually flies the Morning Star flag and other people join in this as well.
‘There is nothing special about 1 December,’ he said, adding that the police and the military will be patrolling the area, after mustering their men on Timika Indah Square,’ he told journalists, as 1 December approached.
He said that in anticipation of people flying the Morning Star flag, his men will be mounting patrols throughout the region of Mimika. ‘I very much hope that people will not get involved in activities that are in violation of the laws in force in the Unitary State of the Republic of Indonesia, ‘especially bearing in mind that flying the Morning Star flag is regarded as an act of subversion and is therefore against the law.’
Repeating his call for people to ‘remain calm’ and avoid doing anything that is against the law, he called on people to support all the development activities that are being undertaken. ‘Let us join together and get involved in these development activities; I am ready to be a partner in these joint endeavours.’
He told journalists that during the three days approaching 1 December, the police will be at the top level of readiness during these three days.
‘All of us must think positively and refrain from doing anything that is in violation of the law, so as not to disrupt peace and tranquillity.’
[Translated by TAPOL]
- Solidarity organisation calls on police not to use violence on 1 December (westpapuamedia.info)
- Forkorus calls for two flags to be flown side by side (westpapuamedia.info)
- Solidarity with West Papua (pacific.scoop.co.nz)
- KNPB pleads for international security (force) to prevent ongoing conflict in Timika (westpapuamedia.info)
- Indonesian police fire shots, tear gas after 100s of Morning Star flags fly at peaceful demo in Manokwari (westpapuamedia.info)
- Indonesia cannot kill our spirit for freedom: West Papuan leader (westpapuamedia.info)