Venetina Koyoga said that according to the most recent information from Paniai, additional troops continue to arrive there while local people are reported to be evacuating from the area.
‘According to information we have received from the people there, the inhabitants of two kampungs have already evacuated. We are checking these reports but if they are indeed true, I would like to stress that no more troops should be sent there,. This must stop so as to ensure that the people there can live in peace, instead of what is happening now. Let us all sit down together, the Governor, the MRP and the DPRP, and agree to a good solution.’
If there is any increase in the number of troops, there should be coordination between representatives of the people in the province, such as the governor, the DPRP and the MRP. If there is no such coordination, the people there will continue to feel threatened,’ she said.
‘I very much regret the fact that there have been acts of violence against people living in Nabire, Puncak Jaya, Ttimika and other places in Papua. We should all sit down together and find the best solution to the problems there. The deployment of troops should end and those troops already there should be withdrawn.’
- Entire Paniai villages forcibly evacuated by Brimob Gegana (westpapuamedia.info)
- Breaking News: REPORTS OF MAJOR TNI OFFENSIVES IN PUNCAK JAYA AND PANIAI (westpapuamedia.info)
- Paniai people call for a halt to the deployment of more troops (westpapuamedia.info)
- Human Rights Commission urges police chief to withdraw his troops from Paniai (westpapuamedia.info)
- Breaking News: Indonesian troops reportedly raze Paniai villages and attack by helicopter (westpapuamedia.info)