Several thousand West Papuan people took the streets in Jayapura on November 14 to calling for a Referendum to demand their right of self determination.
In another show of mass civil resistance since the brutal crackdown by Indonesian security forces on the 3rd Papuan Peoples Congress, the demonstration organised by the West Papua National Committee also called for the Government of Indonesia to take responsibility for its increased unjustified violence towards West Papuan people.
Indonesian police attempted to block the march, but protestors pushed through peacefully to continue to the offices of the DPRP, the provincial parliament building.
Protest organisers earlier expressed grave fears that security forces would attempt to repeat the violence on unarmed and peaceful protestors, but international monitoring and effective citizen media on the ground contributed to the restraint shown by security forces.
Participants rejected dialogue or talk with Jakarta until violence ended and maintained their position that a referendum was the only just pathway towards fulfilling Papuan rights.
“Give us the space for a referendum so that we can choose what we want. We don’t want dialogue doing the bidding of UP4B, or other policy of Special Autonomy; We don’t need money, we don’t need to be with Indonesia, let us be free on our land,” said speakers, referring to the Special Development unit set up by Indonesian President Yudoyhono to dilute Papuan calls for independence.[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4jVXagcUlM]
“The Papuan people have asked for an immediate referendum for self-determination. We reject any dialogue with Jakarta,” protest coordinator Mako Tabuni said.
“The referendum is non-negotiable.”
- Photo/video report: Heavy handed intimidation fails to dampen Papuan Congress spirit; police threaten forced dispersal (westpapuamedia.info)
- Breaking News:First Demos since Papuan crackdown to demand Indon take abuse responsibility (westpapuamedia.info)
- Urgent: Police and Military Prepare to Storm Papuan Congress (westpapuamedia.info)
- Activists detained for attending consolidation meeting (westpapuamedia.info)
- Neles Tebay welcomes the readiness of the government to enter into dialogue with Papua (westpapuamedia.info)