PAPUA NEWS: May 2 2011.
Today there will be major demonstrations across Papua. The objectives for today are:
1. to commemorate that today is the anniversary of the annexation of West Papua by Indonesia using the New York Agreement and brutal military operations by the Indonesian military;
2. to challenge and resist the annexation of West Papua by Indonesia, and to continue follow up the demands by the 2nd Papuan Peoples‘ Congress to take the straightening of the history of Papua’s annexation by Indonesia to the next stage; the first stage was successful historical review of the Act of Free Choice written by Professor Pieter Drooglever.
3. to give support to International Lawyers for West Papua, with 60 international lawyers and the Government of Vanuatu who are assisting with a legal challenge to the annexation and Act of Free Choice of West Papua, that will occur on 2nd August 2011 in London, UK.
The Coordinator of demonstrations across Papua is KNPB (Komite Nasional Papua Barat or West Papua National COmmittee). Demonstrations are also occurring in Biak, Serui, Manokwari, Sorong as well as Jayapura. Currently, approximately 2000 people are gathered outside the Governor’s office in Jayapura, conducting peaceful protests, political speeches, and placards.
It is not known at this stage if security forces are attempting any dispersals.
(with aditional reporting from westpapuamedia.info)
- Indo Police Arrest 6 KNPB Activists in Wamena, West Papua; major tension on streets (westpapuamedia.info)
- KNPB: Action Appeals to DEMAND REFERENDUM IN WEST PAPUA (westpapuamedia.info)
- KNPB Holds Solidarity for West Papua Polical Prisoners (westpapuamedia.info)
- Comprehending West Papua: A report on the CPACS conference in Sydney and surrounding events (westpapuamedia.info)