Some of the scenes from the Manokwari August 28 mobilisations in support of the Freedom Flotilla (Photos: WPM stringers/ NFRPB)
Security forces composed of members of the Indonesian police force mounted a strong guard round the demonstration. The demonstrators marched round the City of Manokwari distributing leaflets proclaiming freedom for the Papuan people.
Morning Star flags were unfurled in several places but the security forces failed to take action. They just stood along the route without doing anything to confiscate the flags being carried by the demonstrators.
As has previously been reported, the Freedom Flotilla with Papuans on board as well as Aboriginals (Australia) who have expressed deep concern about the situation in West Papua is now sailing towards Papua New Guinea. From there, the Flotilla will sail to Merauke, West Papua. The Flotilla is due to arrive in West Papua at the beginning of September.
[Translated by TAPOL]
- Sorong Police arrest Papuan customary leaders at Freedom Flotilla ceremony (westpapuamedia.info)
- Thousands attend rallies in support of West Papua Freedom Flotilla (pacific.scoop.co.nz)
- Banned West Papuan Morning Star flags raised rejecting Merah Putih, on Indonesian independence day (westpapuamedia.info)
- Welcome Freedom Flotilla to West Papua with Morning Star (pacific.scoop.co.nz)
- RNZI: Activists in West Papua gather to support freedom flotilla (freedomflotillawestpapua.org)
- West Papuans Take to Streets, Welcome Freedom Flotilla (pacific.scoop.co.nz)
- Mixed success for Papuan Cultural parades despite by pre-emptive arrests across Papua (westpapuamedia.info)
- The West Papuan independence movement – a history (theguardian.com)
- West Papuan women ‘shield’ activists as rally forcibly dispersed by police (westpapuamedia.info)