The delegations attending the meeting declared that they acknowledge the basic human rights of all peoples and in particular the right to self-determination of all indigenous people who are oppressed and colonised throughout the world, in accordance with the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
The press release also called for the right to self-determination of the Maohi Nui People (Tahiti). The delegates said that the issue of decolonisation has for many years been the focus of the General Assembly of Pacific Churches. They announced their full support for Tahiti to be restored to the UN decolonisation list.
[Translated by TAPOL]
- Papua New Guinea takes a regional lead in supporting a free West Papua (westpapuamedia.info)
- PNG takes regional lead in free West Papua campaign (asopa.typepad.com)
- The plight of West Papua (islandsbusiness.com)
- Jared Diamond: Don’t assist the Indonesian occupation (westpapuamedia.info)
- Statement of Attitude Student Alliance Papua on Independence Day 51 Years the West Papua. in Yogyakarta 2012 (voiceoflovetruthandjustice.wordpress.com)
- West Papua confirms natural right to join MSG (asidegsreizen.wordpress.com)
- Growing international solidarity for West Papua freedom campaigns (westpapuamedia.info)
- Eight soldiers and four civilians reported killed in West Papua: Plus Comment (westpapuamedia.info)
- Paniai sweeps intensify misery under Indonesian control as security forces ban music and torture priest (westpapuamedia.info)