In 2011, despite ongoing repression, the Morning Star flag was once again flown across the country. The non-violent demonstrations and gatherings, as well as the military crackdown against them, were reported to the world via a network of citizen media journalists, breaking through the media blackout of West Papua.
This short wrap-up shows how the West Papuan people would not let outrageous threats of Indonesian state violence suppress their desire to declare their independence.[vimeo http://vimeo.com/34163958]
- SBS Radio: West Papuans fear flag day crackdown (westpapuamedia.info)
- SBS Radio: New dawn for West Papua struggle (westpapuamedia.info)
- West Papuan Conflict Begs Political Solution (westpapuamedia.info)
- Indonesia opens fire as Papuans raise flag (westpapuamedia.info)
- AWPA calls on Rudd to monitor Increasing tension in West Papua, focused on 1st December (westpapuamedia.info)