JUBI, 15 February 2011
SOCRATEZ: NEXT MRP WILL NOT HELP EASE PEOPLE’S SUFFERINGS
The chairman of the United Baptist Churches in Papua, the Rev Socratez Sofyan Yoman, is of the opinion that the new MRP (Majelis Rakyat Papua -Papuan People’s Assembly) now being formed will only add a new dimension to the suffering of the Papuan people.
‘Please don’t add to the people’s suffering. The Papuan people should be consistent in making no compromises with the members of the MRP now being appointed.’
He said that Special Autonomy (OTSUS) has been rejected by the people which means that the MRP, which is at the heart of OTSUS, will do nothing to protect the interests of the indigenous Papuan people (orang asli Papua) and its presence is not acceptable. He also said that the political elite should not try to utilise the present moment to promote their personal interests and cause further sufferings for the people.
He said that there is no legal justification or reason to continue with
the nomination of the new MRP because most of the churches are not
involved in the process, although some have allowed themselves to be
He called on the Papuan people to consistently refuse to get involved in the political process that is now under way. The people’s struggle must stay pure and press for something better.
‘We from the churches will stand by the voice of God’s congregation and continue to consistently reject OTSUS. ‘
- Selection of MRP members should stop, say church leaders (westpapuamedia.info)
- Jubi: Papuans Urged Not Stand for Mrp (westpapuamedia.info)
- Press Release issued by the Papuan People’s Coalition for Truth (KRPBK) (westpapuamedia.info)
- JUBI: Defining “orang asli” in Papua (westpapuamedia.info)
- Coalition of United Papuan People for Truth (krpbk) Calls for Disbandment of the Mrp (westpapuamedia.info)