Apologies for delay in posting
Jayapura (15/1) – After visiting Papua in September 2012, Albert Hasibuan, a member of the Presidential Advisory Council on Legal Rights and Human Affairs (Watimpres) claimed to have passed on his recommendations to Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono (SBY).
“I’ve given my recommendations. The Papua problem will be best resolved through discussion together. The President said he’ll welcome this,” said Albert when approached after Christmas Eve celebrations with the National Mandate Party (Partai Amanat Nasional) in Jayapura, Papua, on Sunday night (13/1).
According to Albert, the event was also attended by a number of notable Papuans including Pater Neles Tebay and Beny Giay, as well as Papuans of various religions. “They were urging for dialogue and hopefully this dialogue can happen in 2013. I’m not sure in which month,” he said.
Albert says the party is working toward (addressing issues of dialogue) in this area. This is because everyone, including the President, hopes to establish peace in West Papua. “I think everyone, including the President, are willing to begin the dialogue, they’re just waiting for the right time,” he said.
Other recommendations to SBY, says the former member of the National Commission for Human Rights, include fully implementing Special Autonomy in Papua, both regionally and through the central government.
“Apart from this, the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) has to be visible in Papua and has to go to Papua because many Papuans are raising questions of Otsus’s accountability of funds. So it’s best if KPK has a presence here,” said Alfred.
- West Papua Advocacy Team Urges Unrestricted Visit by UN Special Rapporteur (westpapuamedia.info)
- Is West Papua being split up to marginalise the Papuan people? (westpapuamedia.info)
- Police fail to provoke violence as demo in Manokwari ignores protest ban (westpapuamedia.info)
- Oksibil community challenge police in provincial election boycott: allow our free expression or let us fill your prison (westpapuamedia.info)
- Victor Yeimo: 22 Members of KNPB killed in 2012 (westpapuamedia.info)
- Herman Wainggai: Open letter to the President of Indonesia on eve of demos in Papua (westpapuamedia.info)
- KNPB: Regional Police Chief Must Wipe Clean ‘Wanted Persons’ (DPO) list (westpapuamedia.info)
- West Papua Report January 2013 (westpapuamedia.info)