Diplomatic steps by WPNCL under international mechanisms

by OKTOVIANUS POGAU at SuaraPapua.com

May 27, 2013

PAPUA, Manokwari – The latest development concerning the diplomatic struggle in West Papua is the submission of a proposal by Papua to be accepted as a member of the Melanesian Spearhead Group (MSG). The group will hold a conference in Noumea, New Caledonia in June 2013. This step is in accordance with the international mechanisms of the UN.  

The West Papua National Coalition for Liberation (WPNCL) is pushing for this inclusion and it should be viewed as a progressive step, owned by the Papuan majority struggling for the enforcement of civil and political rights.

“This move by the WPNCL shouldn’t be disrupted by other efforts within the Papuan struggle, or from organisations like Presidium Dewan Papua (PDP), West Papua National Authority (WPNA), Komite Nasional Pemuda Papua (KNPP), or Negara Republik Federal Papua Barat (NRFPB), or any other political groups,” said Yan Christian Warinussy, Executive Director of LP3BH Manokwari, in a press release to suarapapua.com, Monday (27/5/2013).

“I believe the Komite Nasional Papua Barat (KNPB) clearly owns the agenda, and the outcomes, so I’m not going to comment further on this,” he stated.

In Warinussy’s opinion, this current move is significant in the Pacific region and urgently needs to be addressed and supported by the whole Papuan community.

“I say this, because such a move is in accordance with the advice given by the UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon in Auckland, New Zealand, in September 2010.  SG Ban Ki-moon said that issues facing the Papuan community, like enforcement of civil and political rights, should be brought before the Decolonisation Committee under the UN General Assembly,” he said.

Thus, it’s taken for granted that the struggle in Papua to obtain freedom by political means will be through international mechanisms recognised by the UN. Further, continues Warinussy, the move Papua is making through WPNCL with their proposal to become a member of MSG, is sound diplomatically and in line with the broader struggle to bring the issue of self-determination before the Decolonisation Committee at the UN General Assembly.

“This move can’t just be seen as an initiative of WPNCL but something that’s owned by the whole Papuan community, so that the move can be supported and considered more effectively—and not be disrupted by politicking or factionalism, which could be used to undermine this progressive move,” he finished.  As previously reported in www.tabloidjubi.com, WPNCL is currently lobbying various Pacific nations so that Papua can become a member of MSG and attend the conference this June.

Chronology of Yason Ngelia’s detention in Polresta Jayapura

May 23rd, 2013

By ARNOLD BELAU at SuaraPapua.com

(Apologies for translation delay – more volunteer translators needed)

Yason Ngelia, Chief og BEM FISIP Uncen (Foto: tabloidjubi.com)

JayapuraYesterday, Wednesday the 22/05/2013, Yason Ngelia the chairperson of Executive Student Body in the Faculty of Social and Politics at the Cenderawasih University was detained and interrogated by police officers in Jayapura City Police Resort (Polresta Jayapura).

Ngelia admitted to suarapapua.com that he was initially called in to collect the letter of acceptance in regards to the peaceful action that was organised carried out by the Cenderawasih University on the 23/05/2013 at the Lingkaran Abepura. However, he was interrogated by the offices regarding the rally that was carried out on the 13/05/2012.

Ngelia and few of his colleagues went to the city police resort around 8:30 am local time to collect the acceptance letter which has been applied previously. When they arrived at the resort in the Intelkam office (Intelligence and Security Office), they were asked to leave and return when contacted should the letter has been processed.

Approximately 11:30 am on the same day, Ngelia received a call from an unknown number and said to be from Intelkam Polresta Jayapura in which he was asked to collect the acceptance letter.

“In the ResKrim (Criminal Resort Office), I was told that the chief of police resort doesn’t allow the oration free speech to be held Lingkaran Abepura because it will interfere with the general public. He on the other hand suggested that it would be wise if the oration could be carried out in the campus area,” said Ngelia.

“I convinced them (the officers) at that time that there will be no interference with the general public because our focus will be at the Lingkaran Abepura. After hearing what I said, the apparatus asked me to wait for a few minutes while he discussed with Alfred Papare the chief police resort”, Ngelia reported.

“When that particular police went upstairs, the other police told us to remain seated. After 5 (five) minutes of sitting, we were told to go upstairs to the criminal resort office which located on the second floor. Not long after sitting in that office, I went to the restroom which is located on level 1. To my amazement, I was escorted by a tight guard”, Ngelia explained.

Ngelia was urged to go up to the criminal resort office again. “At that time, I told Septi Meidodga to leave because the office switched the conversation from the acceptance letter to the previous incident that occurred on the 13 of May 2013,”he explained.

Approximately at 13:00 local time, Ngelia admitted that he was being interrogated by the apparatus, snatched his and his friends’ bags examine them.

Ngelia was asked by the police officer in regarding to his involvement on the 13 of May 2013 action “Did you know why you are in this office?” Asked one of the police officers.

“I don’t know”, Ngelia replied. “Then I told the police officer that I came because I was phoned by Intelkam to come and collect the acceptance letter for tomorrow action but I was directed to here,  that was what I answered”, Yason answered to the police officer.

Then the police officer that interrogated Ngelia said “ I don’t know either as to  why you are here but I was instructed by my supervisor to gather information regarding 13 of May 2013. This is due to the report that was given by the police officer name Evendi that he saw you at the location where that action was carried out.

Ngelia also explained that he had been threatened and terror by an investigator that he ought to comply with an investigation that they did till the completion. “Don’t make me ask my officer to play rough to you, it’s better for you to be silent and do as you are told till this investigation is over”, said Ngelia repeating what the investigator said.

“After asking various questions, the investigator could not find and proof so he handed me the acceptance letter”, he said.

After the 6 hours of investigation, Ngelia then left the Polresta Jayapura taking a letter of acceptance for the action that is carried out today (24/05/2013) at the Cenderawasih University yard.

 

 

 

MIFEE: Customary Landowners Block Access to PT Rajawali’s Land

[also: Meeting with Company, Local Communities Received Compensation of IDR 1 Billion – see below]

Source: Tabloid Jubi

English Translation by AwasMIFEE

Customary Landowners Block Access to PT Rajawali’s Land

The issue of PT Rajawali’s compensation to villagers in Kampung Domande, Merauke, has still not been resolved. The villagers, who are the customary landowners, have blocked access to around 10,000 hectares of the land which the company wants to use to plant sugar cane.

When Tabloid Jubi met Efendi Kanan, the head of the forestry and plantation department of Merauke Regency, in his office on Thursday (30/5), he confirmed the blockade was taking place. “There is a blockade, and an accompanying letter has been sent to the Regency Leader, Romanus Mbaraka. I’ve just received a copy of the letter and now I’ve called the company to request further discussions. However, so far only company staff have responded. We were hoping the executives would come”, he said.

If company leaders would join the process, Efendi continued, there could be further discussion about how to approach a solution. “I also have to communicate directly with my superiors. But I hope that in the next couple of days we can arrange a meeting and then go to the village to discuss with the people”.

If representatives from the regency government and the company went to Kampung Domande, Efendi explained, they would bring a final decision. “I don’t know what sort of compensation has been given, but maybe it relates to the company’s recent logging activities. I doubt it has to do with the land issue itself. Because that issue has definitely been discussed between the company and the local people”, he said.

According to Gubernatorial regulations, Efendi explained, the amount of the people’s timber that the company has logged must be counted up and paid for by the company. The problem now is whether that has happened or not. “As far as I know, the company is currently logging the trees on the land. But it is still not clear and certain whether the trees felled have been counted and paid for”.

Meanwhile, when tabloidjubi.com met Merauke District Legislative Council member Hengky Ndiken on Friday (30/5), he said that he had urged the company clearing the villagers land to make the local people’s security their first priority, as those people hold the customary land rights “I feel that since the company has already taken over the people’s land, it is their clear duty and responsibility to think about how to attend to their needs”, he said.

Aside from this, Ndiken continued, the people as customary landowners have to be directly involved, both in the office and in the field. They can’t just make all sorts of enticing promises, but then ignore the people once the operations start. “Despite all the local people’s limitations and lack of skills, the company must provide training and other activities,” Hengky said.

Furthermore, Ndiken states, if they were given opportunities and space to become involved, it is sure that the people would not get carried away with too many protest actions. In that way the investment could continue without encountering obstacles. “I am optimistic that if they are involved, the enterprise should proceed well,” he said.

He also hopes that attention is paid to village development. Of course when a company arrives and presents its plans to the people, they always also present a work program to ensure the people’s security. But this program must be actually put in  place once the company starts work in the field.

Ndiken also requests the Merauke Regency Government to remain vigilant towards company operations, including regarding the people’s rights. “As a representative of the people, I will be involved in monitoring the situation regarding people’s rights. They are the owners of this country, and we need to pay attention to them”, he requested.

Meeting with Company, Local Communities Received Compensation of IDR 1 Billion

In the beginning of April 2013, in the Company’s Training Centre of Bio Inti Agrindo (BIA), another meeting was held again with the local Customary Councils of Mbian and Mandobo tribes. The Head of Ulilin District attended the meeting as well as local Police Chief of Ulilin and Muting Districts, Commander of local military station in Asiki, and representatives of Marind Mbian Customary Agency.

The agenda was to discuss a claim of Mandobo people to BIA to pay a penalty of IDR 70 billion (USD 7.7 millions) for appropriation of their traditional forests and land by the company.  The negotiation was hardly moved, spent time of almost twelve hours overnight, from 18:00 afternoon until 05:00 early morning.  Finally, an agreement took place that company will pay of in advance of IDR 1 billions (USD 111,111) for three clans: IDR 100 millions (USD 11,111) for Basik-basik clan; a similar amount for Mahuze clan; and IDR 300 millions (USD 33,333( for Mandobo clans.

The rest will be paid later as a compensation for all of trees in the forests cut down by the company.

from Silvester Y. Ndiken, Villager of Muting, District of Muting, Merauke

Source: Sorak http://blog.insist.or.id/sorak/en/archives/2551

Chronology of the arrest of seven activists involved in the Aimas, Sorong incident

May 31, 2013
Human Rights Report by GKI Justice, Peace and Integrity of Creation (JPIC) DeskIntroduction

In accordance with an agreement reached between the following mass organisations, the KNPB (National Committee for West Papua), the West Papua National Authority, the Students Executive Board of the Faculty of Social and Political Sciences of Cenderawasih University (BEM-FISIP Uncen), various NGOs  and the church, they would hold a demonstration on 13 May 2013 calling on the Regional Military Commander, the Chief of Police and the Governor of Papua to accept responsibility for  the acts of violence committed on 1 May 2013.  These acts of violence resulted in three deaths in Aimas, Sorong and the arrest of dozens of Papuans who were detained in prisons in Biak, Timika and a number of other places in Papua  where events had been held to commemorate the annexation of Papua by the Republic of Indonesia.

On 13 May, at 6.00 am, Uncen students closed the gate into their campus and people started making speeches. The co-ordinator of the event was  the Chairman of BEM-FISIP Uncen (Yason) who had since early morning been delivering speeeches in front of the campus.  The closing of the gate resulted in the Deputy Rector  of Uncen, Mr Homer, as well as other Uncen lecturers arriving to negotiate about re-opening the gate.   In response, the students said that the day was being devoted  to holding peaceful demonstrations in solidarity with people in civil society who had been shot dead by members of the TNI – Indonesian Army – and Polri, the Police Force in Sorong.

While the negotiations were under way, at 8.00am. the police led by the chief of the local area (Abepura), Kiki Kurnia pushed their way into the area in order to take control of the situation by intimidating the mass of people who had already gathered since early morning.  The commander of the police operation said that this was not permissible and they were told to disperse while remaining at the site.  Negotiations then took place with the chief of police of Jayapura City, Alfred Papare, with those who were responsible for continuing the peaceful demonstration, among others Viktor Yeimo (KNPB), Yason (BEM Uncen), Bovit (Garde-P) and Alfares Kapisa (WNPA)  As a result of the negotiations, twenty students representing the mass of people who had gathered went to the MRP (Papuan People’s Assembly) riding in a truck. As more and more people wanted to accompany the group, Victor Yeimo asked for an additional truck.

While negotiations were still proceeding and people were still making speeches, the chief of police ground operations started to provoke the crowd of people, using the megaphone to stir the emotions of the demonstrators, but these provocations only caused the demonstrators to smile.  Before the demonstrators started to get onto the trucks, those responsible for the action called on all the demonstrators to abide by the guidelines ‘SAFEGUARD SECURITY AND PEACE’.  Then the crowds were led to the two trucks and a pick-up. Things began to get tense when the Chief of Operations KIKI KURNIA prevented the demonstrators from using motorbikes.  The chief of operations ordered the police along the road to stop all those who were travelling in convoy by motorbikes to the MRP.   When they reached the Perunas Junction, the police began to attack those who were on motorbikes which led to chaos because the police began to attack the riders who abandoned their motorbikes leaving the bikes unattended.  The police then began to destroy the motorbikes which infuriated the owners of the vehicles.  There were furious arguments and objects began to be thrown at the police.  It is not clear who was responsible for doing that.

The police then began to act brutally and started beating those who were on board the trucks.  The chief of the operation then ordered Victor Yeimo to be arrested; he was beaten in the face which caused his face to start bleeding. Victor was pushed onto a Barracuda (armoured assault vehicle) and a short while later, he taken from the Barracuda and put onto a police van for detainees.

After Yeimo had been beaten and arrested, Marthen Manggaprouw was also arrested and beaten. and pushed onto a police detention truck.  The police then started beating two other students while pushing them onto the trucks.

Following the arrests, four of the detainees were taken to Polresta Jayapura and as soon as they arrived there, they were interrogated while being driven to  police headquarters. which they reached at 12 noon. Soon afterwards, another three students were arrested and beaten by the police and taken to police headquarters. So, altogether seven activists were arrested and beaten.

They are:

  • Yongky Ulimpa, 23 years old, studying at FISIP Uncen. He was beaten on the head with rattan causing swellings in his head.
  • Ely Kobak, 17 years old, a student. He was beaten in the face and rattan was tied round his neck  making it difficult for him to eat or drink.or to stand up straight.
  • Marthen Manggaprouw, 33 years old, a WPNA activist, who was repeatedly struck in the face and kicked from behind as well as in his private parts. He is still suffering  from pain in his penis.
  • Victor Yeimo, 33 years old,  who was struck in the face causing his face to start bleeding; he is  still in a lot of pain.
  • Markus Giban, 19 years old, a student. He was beaten in the face and lips  causing bruises and he has become doubled up with pain.
  • Nius Matuan, 22 years old, who was struck with an M16 rifle butt which damaged his left eyebrow, making him feel dizzy.
  • Wily Kombo, 22 years old, a student, who was kicked by a member of the Dalmas police unit.causing him to suffer serious bruising in his ribcage.

The seven activists, after having been beaten, were placed under detention. Victor Yeimo and Marthen Manggaprouw were interrogated by police officers while the other five were interrogated at Polresta.  Manggaprouw, who is secretary-general of WPNA, was told he was being interrogated for crimes against Article 106 (treason) and also for incitement. Victor Yeimo, after being interrogated was immediately taken away by police officers to the attorney-general’s office, in connection with an old case in 2011, and was taken to the Abepura Prison, to undergo investigation.

After the interrogations, six of the activists were allowed to go home just before  midnight, because there was no evidence that they had committed treason or incitement. Meanwhile, four activists – Marthen Manggaprouw, Yongky Ulimpa, Willy Kombo and Nius  Matuan were taken to a local military command post  KOREM 751 in Padang Bulan at 1.15 am. The other two were sent home. after having been given a check-up, because of the injuries they suffered.

Several of the activists are still suffering from the effects of the beatings they sustained.

According to Bintang Papua on 16 May, the police chief, Alfred Papare has declared that all the organisations involved – KNPB, Garda-P and others) will not be allowed to organise any more peaceful demonstrations.
[Translated by TAPOL, edited by WPM]

Create a website or blog at WordPress.com

Up ↑