West Papua Media
21:00 (WPB) 14 June 2012
As tensions across West Papua ratchet up in the wake of the execution of KNPB leader Mako Tabuni, senior Papuan leaders accuse Australian and U.S trained Detachment 88 of being behind the slaying.
Domi Surabut, a senior Papuan Tribal Council leader from the Central Highlands sent West Papua Media the following message by sms at 21:35 tonight (AEST): “Mako Musa Tabuni was shot dead by Densus 88 with three bullets. Twice in the thigh and once in the stomach. His corpse is still being held at the Bhayangkara Police Hospital. His death will cause blood to flow. Please pray and urge peaceful intervention in Papua.”
As of 21:30 tonight the Indonesian police are still refusing to release his body to Tabuni’s family saying that they will bury him themselves.
As outrage builds church, tribal and independence leaders from the nonviolent movement are urging their followers to maintain discipline fearing that a violent reaction will give the TNI and Indonesian police all the justification they need to crush the independence movement.
In a text circulating around activist circles Selphius Bobii, a political prisoner writes “The killing of Tabuni is part of a scenario to destroy the Papuan struggle’s commitment to a peaceful path and push Papuans towards violence. So let’s control ourselves. Don’t get caught in this scenario which will only weaken our peaceful struggle that right now is echoing across our country and up to the UN.”
As armoured personnel carriers, water cannons and heavily armed troops position themselves around the streets of Jayapura tonight that commitment will be sorely tested.
WPM 22:00 (AEST) 14 June 2012
- KNPB leader Mako Tabuni shot dead by Aust-funded Indonesian Detachment 88 troops; riots in Jayapura (westpapuamedia.info)
- DPRP member warns: Continued detention of Tabuni could strengthen pro-independence ideas (westpapuamedia.info)
- New Matilda: SBY Ignores West Papua Murders (westpapuamedia.info)
- Videos and latest figures from Wamena provide evidence of Indonesian army rampage (westpapuamedia.info)
- KNPB: We never seek justice from Indonesia (westpapuamedia.info)