Dules Wamimbo, the chairman of the KNPB in the district of Lanny Jaya, said that Athys was also badly mistreated while in a cell of the local police command in Jayawijaya.
In a short message, Dules said that while being held by the Wamena police, Athys ‘was beaten until he was black and blue all over.’
Athys had been trying to peacefully mediate a conflict among the people of Lanny Jaya.
Athys and several of his KNPB colleagues are being closely watched by Densus88 (Detachment 88, the Australian, US, And UK funded elite counter-terror unit that is being used against peaceful political activists outside its funding mandate). Dules said that when an armed conflict broke out between the TPN (the military wing of the OPM) and the Indonesian military, KNPB activists tried to mediate this conflict but they were treated as if they were the military.
Dules said: ‘ We very much hope that the police will stop arbitrarily arresting people without clear evidence.’
[Translated by TAPOL]
- Breaking News: Knpb Leader Victor Yeimo Among Arrests on December 1 Flagraising Day (westpapuamedia.info)
- Crackdown Across Papua: October 23 Knpb Demo Updates (westpapuamedia.info)
- Indonesia cannot kill our spirit for freedom: West Papuan leader (westpapuamedia.info)
- Indonesian special forces hunt West Papuan environmentalist (westpapuamedia.info)
- “Mystery” killing of KNPB leader in Fak Fak, Indonesian security forces blamed (westpapuamedia.info)
- Breaking News: Security Forces Attack Knpb Demo in Jayapura (westpapuamedia.info)