Inspector-General Tito Karnavian said that the special team will be charged with mapping the incidents and investigating each one so ensure that they are properly solved.
‘The team will be instructed to handle each case seriously. What happens at present that when an incident occurs, everyone talks about it but then is disappears.’
The chief of police spent two days in the area with a number of officers and inspected the open pit mining (Grasberg) as well as the underground mines.
He stressed the need for the incidents to be handled seriously. There have been a number of shootings in the Freeport area since 2009, but in most cases, the perpetrators have not been found.
During the past three years, he said, there have been ‘hundreds’ of shooting incidents leading to the death of twenty people which has included members of the police force, members of the company’s internal security force as well as local people who are involved in traditional mining.
As regards the general situation in Papua, the chief of police said that everything is quiet and under control. He went on to say that there have been a number of terror incidents in Wamena which have been solved as well as cases of the discovery of explosive material in Timika. Six people who are thought to be involved in explosive material are currently in the custody of the police and are being interrogated. He said that the cases are being handled in accordance with legal procedures. ‘Anyone who is deemed to be guilty will be processed according to the law.’
[Translated by TAPOL]
- Report on the US ambassador’s meetings with various government agencies and institutions (westpapuamedia.info)
- Indonesia cannot kill our spirit for freedom: West Papuan leader (westpapuamedia.info)
- Indonesian army units torch houses, shoot villager, during Wamena sweep operation (westpapuamedia.info)
- Indonesian special forces hunt West Papuan environmentalist (westpapuamedia.info)
- Densus 88 sweeps force hundreds to flee from Baliem Valley villages (westpapuamedia.info)
- TPN denies involvement in “unknown persons” terror plot in Wamena (westpapuamedia.info)
- Wamena arrests as Australian-funded anti-terror troops conduct raid amid increasing repression on KNPB political activists (westpapuamedia.info)
- KNPB pleads for international security (force) to prevent ongoing conflict in Timika (westpapuamedia.info)
- TAPOL Urgent Action: Fears for Papuan activists (westpapuamedia.info)
- Breaking News: Security Forces Attack Knpb Demo in Jayapura (westpapuamedia.info)